Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

General update

We had a fun and busy long weekend.  I'll share some of the bullet-point activities.

Friday
*Fun at Boyd's Orchard with Lottie's class for a last hurrah before summer break.  Luckily, my dad came with us because I was spot-on when I guessed that keeping track of Lottie and Dallas by myself would be impossible.  Lottie played on the playground with her friends, had a donut snack, and took a hayride with Pop Pop.  Dallas skipped the hayride in favor of playing on the pirate ship play set.  He also skipped the donut but not by choice.
*Lunch at McDonald's and more playing at the play place there.
*NAPS!  Naps for EVERYONE!  This may not seem like a big deal to you, but my kids haven't consistently napped for months.  Because they both napped, I got to nap.  Nap = happy mommy.

Saturday
*We did a family jaunt to the grocery store, otherwise known to us as "family grosh."  After that, Trevor and I split up some of the household jobs.  I mowed and trimmed while he worked some magic on the back pergola with the power sprayer.  The kids played in the yard and got HOT.  They wore sweatshirts to the orchard on Friday and practically nothing on Saturday.  Gotta love global warming.
*Dinner on the patio at Mimi and Pop Pop's.  My parents' condo has a big water feature just steps from the front door, and it's a huge draw for the kids.  I have learned to pack extra clothing because someone (usually Lottie) ends up soaking wet.

Sunday
*My parents and Trevor's Uncle Hardy came over for a cookout.  Trevor grilled brats and made a green bean and potato dish in the crock pot.  My mom brought a salad and a delicious fruit pizza.  I made vegan banana chocolate chip cookies that were a bit overdone but still tasty.  Good food and good conversation.
*After lunch, we all went outside and watched the kids play in the sprinkler.  It wasn't too long before they had both stripped down to nothing.  Dallas was climbing the rock wall in his birthday suit.  So, so bizarre.
*Trevor and I took turns going to the gym.  I got to watch the beginning of _The Fugitive_ on the TV while I did the stair climber.  That kept my heart rate up!

Monday
*Trevor worked in the morning while I hung out with the kids.  It was still horribly hot, but that doesn't seem to stop Lottie and Dallas from playing hard.  At some point they had a popsicle treat outside and helped Trevor finish the power washing.
*We were lucky enough to snag Nicole to babysit so the adults to go out to dinner.  Trevor, my parents, and I went out to Sal's Chophouse and had an insanely delicious meal.  It was great to have good food and adult conversation, though we talked about the kids a lot.  :)

Tuesday and Wednesday have brought more sprinkler playing, preschool nudity, and the summer debut of the plastic elephant pool.  Both kids were nude for about four hours this afternoon in the yard.  It's very strange, but it's definitely not worth a battle.  Tonight will be the first night Trevor and I will go to the summer classic movie series atthe Kentucky Theater in downtown Lexington.  Every Wednesday afternoon and evening in the summer, there is a classic movie shown along with a serial beforehand.  Last year, the serial was Flash Gordon: total comedy!

Tomorrow is the kids' last day of school.  If you don't hear from me, send help.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a super fun holiday weekend. Wish I was there!

    Fun fact: This is Frankie's second week out of school and I seriously don't know how I'm going to make it through the summer without losing my sanity.

    I'm with you on the afternoon nap, too. It rarely happens, but when it does it's the Greatest Thing Ever.

    ReplyDelete