Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sweet relief

The surgery on Thursday went well.  I spent another lovely night at Central Baptist Hospital.  Don't get me wrong: the people are really nice there, but I quickly grew weary of being woken up every three hours, sleeping with an oxygen mask on, and being fed orange Jello and beef broth.  I got to go home pretty early on Friday morning, and as if the whole ordeal hadn't been bizarre enough, leaving the hospital was even more bizarre.  The nurse refused to unhook me from the IV until I ate solid food, but she wouldn't give me any solid food.  She also insisted that I sleep in the oxygen mask even though my oxygen sats were fine.  After the shift change, I got a new nurse who was on duty when I was discharged.  She and the student nurse who was shadowing her unhooked me from everything, and then the nurse proceeded to tell me that when my ride arrived, I could go ahead and just leave.  All I had to do was wave to the nurses at the nurses' station and tell them I was leaving.  By myself.  On my own two legs.  Without a wheelchair.  I mean, I was perfectly capable of walking to the elevator and to the front door alone, but I found it odd that the nurse would let me go alone due to liability.  As I was walking down the hall to leave, a staff member stopped me and said, "What are you doing?  Does your nurse know you're walking down the hallway?"  When I told her that my nurse not only knew but TOLD me to do it, the woman just shook her head and said, "Okay, good luck."

I was so glad to have Nicole, my parents, and Trevor's parents in town to help me with the kids.  I was able to take a nap (if you count four hours as a nap) on Friday and another nap on Saturday.  Lovely!  Trevor stayed home with me on Friday just to make sure everything was okay.  Either that or he wanted to nap, too, so he could stay up for the UK basketball game Friday night.  Other than fatigue, I have been feeling pretty good and slathering my sweet scar with vitamin E oil as often as I can.

On Monday, I had my first appointment with my endocrinologist, Dr. Wendell Miers.  (He is really cool, by the way.)  He was able to get into the CBH computer and see my biopsy results from Thursday.  Drum roll, please...

There was NO cancer in the second lobe that was removed.  Not only was there that amazing news, but I also don't have to do the radioactive iodine treatment.  Dr. Miers started me on Synthroid to regulate the level of thyroid hormone in my body, and I will continue to do checkups with him every three months, then every six, and eventually once a year.

I knew in my heart that everything was going to be okay, but hearing the news for sure was a huge relief.  All I wanted to do was go home and sleep for twelve hours because I felt completely weightless for the first time in a long time.  I didn't get to do that, of course, but last night's sleep was one of the best I have had in a long, long, long time.

I truly appreciate all of the thoughts, prayers, and kind words that you have all sent my way.  I know that every bit of love has helped me and my family get through this rough, insane, and emotional time.  Thank you all!

Now that I am cancer-free, I can get to the business of packing up the house.  But that's a whole other blog...


  1. WONDERFUL news KC! We've been praying and thinking of you often. Such a blessing!!!

  2. K.C., I'm delighted for your awesome outcome! Prayers were answered, and you must be basking in the blessed relief. I'm glad you don't have to do the radioactive iodine; my surgeon had told me that I would feel like I wanted to "claw out" my eyes as they deprived the thyroid of hormones prior to the therapy. I wasn't thrilled he had shared that with me before surgery, and I hoped no one had give you that information. Hooray--neither of us had to claw out our eyes! ;)

    As they try to regulate your thyroid meds, you'll find they ask the weirdest questions: everything from questions about your hair and fingernails to your heartbeat to your bathroom habits. You'll be amazed by all the things your thyroid regulates. I've been on the meds for about 15 years and been on 88, 100, 125, and 150 at various times. If you don't feel right, be honest with the doctor, who can adjust the dosage and make you feel so much better.

    Well, my friend, after our winters of discontent, let's hope that spring brings us peace and joy. We deserve it. Looking forward to having you back home in a few months so that I can hug you in person--a celebratory hug for all we've endured and a thanks for all the support you've given me in spite of your own worries.


  3. Best. News. EVER!

    And what's the deal with the nurses in that hospital? So weird.:/

  4. I am so relieved. My prayers and thoughts are with you. :)

    Moving is so much fun. NOT!