Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Amen

Lottie and Dallas both go to an awesome preschool, Good Shepherd Day School.  The school is affiliated with Good Shepherd Episcopal Church.  We love the school, the staff, and the whole atmosphere.

One of the components of GSDS is, of course, religious study.  The kids have chapel every Wednesday morning where they learn about God and Jesus.  Not being at all religious myself, I think it's great that my kids have the opportunity to learn about things that I wouldn't be able to teach them.  Sometimes Dallas throws a towel around himself and says he's Jesus. Lottie, especially, has really gotten into learning all she can at chapel, and that has been the catalyst to some pretty interesting conversations.

When I picked her up from school today, she decided she wanted to gather some fall leaves.  While working at her task, she nonchalantly asked if I knew that Jesus was the light of the world.  Three of four times a week, she bursts out with, "God and Jesus can do miracles!"  It's always totally random and apropos to nothing, but it's always stated with utter joy and wonder.  Around Easter, she was fascinated with Jesus's resurrection.  "Mama, they hanged him on a cross and his hands had bleeds but then he came alive again!"

Yesterday, we were stuck in traffic next to St. Joseph hospital.  There is a huge statue of St. Joseph outside the hospital, and Lottie always says it's Jesus.  I don't feel like arguing so I usually let it go.  While we were waiting at the light, Lottie asked, "Mommy, do I look like Jesus's girlfriend?" Um, okay.  I laughed so hard that I almost had to pull over.  Then she wanted to know if Jesus even had a girlfriend.  I told her that I thought that was an awesome question to ask Deacon Lauren the next time she had chapel at school.  Yeah, I passed the buck.  I'm not ashamed, either.  And if I'm ever the mother-in-law of Jesus, I'll deal with Him then.

No comments:

Post a Comment